2009: 59-103 (5th)
So Long: C Josh Bard, OF Austin Kearns, P Mike MacDougal, 1B Dmitri Young
Projected Starting Lineup (courtesy of rototimes.com)
Welcome: P Miguel Batista, P Brian Bruney, IF Eric Bruntlett, P Matt Capps, OF Chris Duncan, P Eddie Guardado, 2B Adam Kennedy, P Jason Marquis, C Ivan Rodriguez, P Tyler Walker, P Chien-Ming Wang, 1B Josh Whitesell
1. Nyjer Morgan, CF
2. Cristian Guzman, SS
3. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
4. Adam Dunn, 1B
5. Josh Willingham, LF
7. Ivan Rodriguez, C
8. Adam Kennedy, 2B
Rotation - John Lannan, Jason Marquis ("I bet you miss my ass now. Enjoy your fat Carlos Silva, you fickle sons of bitches! I'll SEE YOU ALL IN HELLLLL!"), Scott Olsen, Garrett Mock, Chien-Ming Wang, (Stephen Strasburg [The Anointed One])
Setup - Tyler Clippard, Brian Bruney
Closer - Matt Capps
A season removed from the worst record in the league (and it wasn't terribly close) and the 4th worst attendance in the league, they've decided to invest all their hope in Steven Strasburg. You can't find a piece of Nationals press that doesn't include at least a mention of the man I've come to think of as D.C. Jesus. He's a young, can't-miss pitching prospect, like Todd Van Poppel, Brien Taylor, or Mark Prior.
Surrounding him is what I imagine to be a re-enactment of Major League. Ivan Rodriguez refuses to give up the game - the man has a passion for the game that comes straight from the man who taught him baseball, Cap fucking Anson. He's like the killer that never dies at the end of the horror movie despite taking 8 bullets and a machete to the face. Adam Dunn was forced to put the beer goggles on and sign with them because Jim Hendry is a fucking tard. Zimmerman and Kennedy are the bland guys that you know are on the team, but don't get any good scenes with either Charlie Sheen or the voodoo guy.
I mean really, what's a good year, realistically, for this year's Nats? Maybe winning 70 and jacking up tickets a bit for the Cubs, Dodgers, and possibly Mets? Seeing The Golden Child throw a few good starts? Getting a rain out and seeing The Golden Child on cable instead of bad baseball? All of these are best case scenarios, and that has to be depressing as hell for any masochists willing to call themselves Nationals diehards.
It's a good thing that the NL no longer has the Expos, though. They were just embarrassing.
If this team were a disease/ailment it would be: Scabies. That shit is disgusting, a pain in the ass, and will follow you everywhere. From Montreal to Washington, say.
Presidential Medal of Whogivesafuck: Matt Capps. I'm sure all the baseball fans in the nation's capital spent the offseason talking about how relieved they were at the bullpen boost offered by an ex-Pirates reliever and his 5.80 ERA.
Congressional Medal of Embarrassing Middle Name: Matt Caps. Guy's middle name is Dicus. I'm pretty sure we're all pronouncing that the same way in our heads.
Joint Chiefs of Staff Award for Player That Most Resembles an Agent: Josh Willingham. Behold:
I think the photographer called this shot "Untitled: 'You're Trying to Fuck My Client On the Signing Bonus. Up It, or We Walk.'"
Cubs of Yore Battle Royale
Steve Trout 16
Ron Cey 12
Eric Karros 14
Les Lancaster 12
Turk Wendell 17
Reed Johnson 11
Matt Clement 16
Brian McRae 10
- Baseball (85)
- Cubs (80)
- Goreo (51)
- Jake (37)
- 2010 MLB Preview (29)
- T.R. (22)
- Exile on Madison (16)
- Hockey (16)
- Chicago Blackhawks (15)
- Wolter (14)
- John (13)
- Ginger Russ (12)
- Adam Blank (10)
- Two Minutes of Hate (8)
- Friday Five (7)
- Gracies and Neifis (5)
- Burning Cub Questions (4)
- Milton Bradley (4)
- White Chili (4)
- Letters From Exile (3)
- Chaim Witz (2)
- Drunkblog (2)
- Movies (2)
- Predictions (2)
- Snork (2)
- Starlin Castro (2)
- Steve (2)
- Surplus Ben (2)
- Burning Cubs Question: Volume 3
- 2010 Season Preview: Minnesota Twins
- 2010 Season Preview: Detroit Tigers
- 2010 Season Preview: Cincinnati Reds
- Thunderdome Winner: Chad Tracy
- 2010 Season Preview: Kansas City Royals
- Boldly Predicing the Future (Poorly): Inaugural Ed...
- The Friday Five: Opening Day Traditions
- 2010 Season Preview: New England Communist Stockin...
- 2010 Season Preview: Tampa Bay Rays
- 2010 Season Preview: Texas Rangers
- 2010 Season Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates
- 2010 Fantasy Baseball Player Rankings
- The Friday Five: Don't Change Wrigley
- 2010 Season Preview: San Diego Padres
- Blank is the New Bradley
- 2010 Season Preview: Baltimore Orioles
- 2010 Season Preview: Washington Expos Nationals
- In Defense of Swearing
- Russell on Russell
- 2010 Season Preview: New York Mets
- Is This Really the Best The Cubs Can Do?
- 2010 Season Preview: Florida Marlins
- Torii Hunter: Making USA Today Interesting
- 2010 Season Preview: Seattle Mariners
- What Happens in Vegas...
- I Went To a Baseball Game and a Frat Party Broke O...
- The Friday Five: Getting Positive
- Cheap Bleacher Seats? For Serious?
- 2010 Season Preview: Cleveland Indians
- Burning Cubs Questions: Volume 2
- 2010 Season Preview: San Francisco Giants
- Can You to Tell People to Turn Right? Hired!
- 2010 Season Preview: Arizona D-Bags
- 2010 Season Preview: Los Angeles Dodgers
- 2010 Season Preview: St. Louis Cardinals
- Fallen Angel
- Letters From Exile: Oscar Hangover Edition
- Cubs Weekend in Review
- The Friday Five
- Marlon Byrd: Clearly Delusional
- 2010 Season Preview: Milwaukee Brewers
- Milton, It's Not Chicago That Wants You To Choke O...
- 2010 Season Preview: Atlanta Braves
- OJ Simpson's Low Down Dirty Shame
- 2010 Season Preview: Houston Astros
- 2010 Season Preview: Toronto Blue Jays
- Burning Cubs Questions: Volume 1
- 1979 Season Preview: Oakland Athletics
- Kevin Costner Is About As Effective As Carlos Marm...
- 2010 Season Preview: Los Angeles Angels
- ▼ March (51)
Exile "Approved" Cubs Blogs
- Wasting Away in Wrigleyville
- College of Idiots
- A League of Her Own
- Another Cubs Blog
- Bleacher Nation
- Boys of Spring
- Bullpen Brian
- Bush League Times
- GoatRiders of the Apocalypse
- Hire Jim Essian
- Ivy Chat
- Ivy Envy
- Just One Bad Century
- Not Qualified to Comment
- Start Kyle Orton
- Tales From Aisle 424
- Ted Lilly Fan Club
- The Cub Reporter
- The Friendly Blogfines
- View From the Bleachers
- Wrigleyville 23